Sisters in the Brotherhood Committee (SIB) offers opportunities to become more active within the union. SIB events, meetings, and resources, offer support for women members across Atlantic Canada.
The goal of the Sisters in the Brotherhood is to create a network of active members that provides avenues for women to eliminate barriers to their success and to promote and increase in the number and diversity of women in the UBC. We advocate for member involvement to strengthen the union and for the unity and retention of all members.
WHO WE ARE AND WHAT WE DO
The Atlantic Canada Sisters in the Brotherhood is a committee of female members within the Atlantic Canada Regional Council. We strive to eliminate barriers to success and promote an increase in the number and diversity of women in the United Brotherhood of Carpenters, Millwrights and Allied Workers (UBC). From delivering high-quality performance to supporting Union causes, Sisters in the Brotherhood make contributions that help build a better trade and a stronger UBC.
- Member Involvement: We attend Union meetings and many of us serve as Local Union officers and Council delegates, offering input on issues that affect women, men, and the UBC.
- Community Involvement: We volunteer and support community activities as a way to promote a positive image of the Union, the UBC, and Union workers.
- Political Action: We serve on political action committees and support UBC positions at rallies and campaign events.
- Recruiting Members: We help organize workers, recruit members, and provide input on the establishment of apprentice programs.
- Mentoring Members: We provide new members with guidance on ways to succeed on the job and with advice on how to become valued UBC members.
NATIONAL MENTOR DEVELOMENT PROGRAM
Applications are now open! Submit before March 1st, 2024. The first cohort will begin May 2024. Follow this link to learn more:
There are 5 modules that will take place throughout the program.
- Mentorship vision: Setting the course
- Crafting Connection: Building Strong Mentorships
- Navigating Dialogue: Effective Mentorship Communication
- Wellness and Work: Fostering a Supportive Environment
- Passing the Torch: Knowledge, Careers and Celebrations
SAVE THE DATE!
International Women’s Day Events
Lower Sackville, NS – March 6, 2024 I 6:00pm I Freeman’s Little New York
Sydney, NS – March 7, 2024 I 5:30pm I Flavor 19 Golf Course Restaurant
St. John’s, NL- March 7, 2024 I 6:00-8:00pm I O’Reilly’s Newfoundland Pub
Charlottetown, PEI – March 8, 2024 I 6:30 – 8:30pm I Union Hall
Saint John, NB – March 8, 2024 I 7:00-9:99pm I Dooley’s I Loch Lomond Mall
Follow us on Facebook at Atlantic Canada Sisters in the Brotherhood